Historic Vestiges Flag Tower of hanoi

Built in 1812 under the reign of of King Gia Long, the Flag Tower is one of the few constructions in the Ha Noi Citadel, which have survived almost intact. In now lies within the History Military Museum compound.

The Flag Tower consists of three layers of bases are tiled with bricks. The first layer is 170m in perimeter and 3.1m in height. It has two brick staircases.

Each side of the second storey is 27m long and 3.7m high. There are four doors at this level. On the eastern-looking door are two old Chinese characters meaning “welcoming sunrise”, on the western-looking one, “reflection of light”, and on the southern-looking one, “looking towards light”. Only the northern-looking door has no old Chinese characters.

Each side of the third storey is 12.8m long and 5.1m high. The door leads to the staircase that turns to the north. The body of the flag tower lies on this storey. It is an eight-sided cylinder, getting narrower as it reaches the height of 18.2m. Each base side of the cylinder is 2m in length. Inside of it is a 54-step spiral staircase leading to the top. For ventilation and light, there are four or five asterisk-shaped holes on each of the eight sides. On the highest location of each side is a sector-shaped hole.

The top of the flag tower takes the shape of an eight-sided room that is 3.3m in height. Each side has one door. In the middle of the room is a round column, 0.4m in diameter. The roof of the room is where the flag is installed. So, the entire structure is 33.4m high, or 41m high if the pole used for holding the flag is included.

Older articles